Overdue Parties - and Other Emergencies
If someone doesn't return at the expected time, first assess the situation. Consider if the party had food and shelter for the conditions. In most cases, even day walkers who are properly equipped can survive a night out.
If you believe the situation is an emergency, the police should be contacted immediately (000) to begin a search and rescue.
If the Emergency does not relate to an overdue party, call any one of the people listed below.
If you are unsure if a situation is an emergency, you can try the following:
- Check the information about the walk - where did they go, when are they due back, how well were they equipped, how has the weather changed? A day walk overdue by 12 hours may be a concern, but not so a 6-day walk.
- Ring the leader of the walk - they may have returned or got a message home
- Check your mobile phone - the group may have been able to SMS or ring.
- The club does not have any permanent staff, however three members are club emergency contacts who will be able to help assess the situation. They have access to walk itineraries and other club records. Leave a message with your contact details if there is no immediate response; or try one of the other emergency contact officers; or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or call one of the committee members listed below.
- Club Emergency Contact 1 - 47542039 or 0447155867
- Club Emergency Contact 2 - 47541984 or 0413 443168
- Club Emergency Contact 3 - 4751 4263 or 0409 475873
- Club Activities Secretary - 0407113806 or 4751 4875
- Club President - 4751 1392 or 0402 228 896
- Club Webmaster - 4751 1392 or 0402 228 896
BSAR Contact Information:
Bush Search and Rescue (http://www.bsar.org.au/ ) are a volunteer group with specialised skills in remote area search and rescue. They are required to contact the police first, but can often access local knowledge of an area to speed up a rescue operation.
- Phone 132 222
- Ask for pager number 6277 321
- Leave a brief message including a return phone number
- One of the BSAR people will phone back
Download a printable copy of this information: